Now that summer is coming to a close the Legislature will resume sitting at Queen’s Park.
This will be our first opportunity in over two months to ask the government questions about the status of COVID-19, their back-to-school plan, support for small business owners, the status of long-term care and preparations for a second wave.
We don’t yet know what will be on the agenda but rest assured I will continue to work with my colleagues to make things better.
I will be calling on the government to release their plan for a second wave of COVID-19.
Based on advice and feedback from health experts and front-line health care workers I believe a second wave plan should include the following:
- Eliminating unsafe waiting lines for COVID-19 testing;
- Expanded sick leave and additional protections for workers;
- Guaranteed access to fully-funded PPE for residents, patients and workers in both hospitals and nursing homes;
- Real-time reporting of outbreaks at the source;
- Increases in wages for essential frontline workers;
- Urgent, compassionate action to protect migrant farm workers.
In addition, I will use the upcoming legislative session to focus on proper support and funding for public education, real improvements for Ontario’s long-term care sector and additional support for small business owners.